Monday, November 5, 2012

Cleaning my Internet image? Nah!

The other day my classmates and I received some feedback concerning our Internet image. A professional of social media networking told us that we needed to clean it if we wanted to be successful in the contemporary labor market, where more often than ever, possible bosses use potential employees’ online profiles to determine if a candidate is suitable for an interview.

This information freaked me out! Suddenly, photos of myself getting drunk, dancing over tables, getting arrested and doing some very publics acts of affections crossed my mind. Then, I stopped myself for a second, smacked myself on the head and remembered that I’m not Lindsay Lohan, and that the only time that I had been in a police station was because I needed to denounce someone for stealing my book bag.  Yes, I know, my life is not as interesting as I thought.






 After this realization, I kept wondering about what was wrong with my online image and about how much power (or lack of it) I have over it.  I asked myself: What kind of representations[1] can people create about me thanks to my online presence?  Am I comfortable with this? Are those constructed images related with to the ones that I have in the “non online world”?








Then I did the most obvious thing: I googled myself! And I was outraged with what I found: I have many online  doubles! Dozens of girls from around the world popped up when I googled my name. They were from Venezuela, Dominican Republic, USA… I thought that a good way to fix this randomness with my identity was by using in the online world the two names that my mom gave me in the "real" one: Raiza Denise. Not a good idea either!  My mom was not as original as I thought she was by combining my two names. Raiza Denise is all over the place on the Internet and I got the impression that is even a trademark for some European company. The worst part of all this is that according to Google my doubles are more popular than me.

It took me a while to find the “real” Raiza Denise Báez in the Google search and when I finally did it, I noticed that most of the stuff that appeared was related to my social media activities on social networking sites such as Facebook or Linkedin. Also, I found a really annoying Mylife page that has my address and birthday information for public display, and an old MySpace page that I have not been able to get rid of.  Those are my traces on the online world. I tried to find my Twitter page but it was non-existent, at least on the first three or four pages of the Google results that I checked. I came across some profile pics too, in which I’m alone, with friends,  or traveling. Nothing really shameful I would say.  

I have to admit that this is not the whole story of my Internet presence: I have other photos where I’m having a drink, acting silly or just hanging out in places or countries that some persons would find inappropriate. Most of them are in my “private” profile, thus in theory only my “friends” can actually see them, but those “friends” are a couple hundreds who may not be so private with the info that they upload or share regarding others…. Therefore it is possible that some of those photos (or Facebook’s  status or my Amazon’s buying history) that are supposedly restrained in private online settings, are in fact silently floating around in cyberspace just waiting for the perfect time to pop out and reveal to the world the “truth” about myself: that once upon a time I was an undergraduate student who drank beers, had political views, had random friends, did karaoke singing and visited communist countries: what a discovery!

I guess that those kind photos are the ones that the professional of social media networking was worried about. It is obvious that from all those different images people can create many representations of me: some will be good, some will be bad and some could be even ugly. But in the end, part of these constructions will depend on the preconceptions of the persons who are seeing the images: on their beliefs, their prejudices and on their own view of the world.

This reminds me of an experience that I had with some photos that I uploaded on my Facebook page a couple of years ago.  It was around May of 2010 and I was looking for a roommate in Washington DC. A friend of mine put me in contact with an American Federal worker who lived in DC and agreed to help me find a place to stay in the area. We become Facebook friend.





After a couple of days of this “online relationship”, my new “friend” decided that he was not going to help me anymore. His reason for this decision was that he looked through an online album, that I uploaded before I met him, that contained photos about the student’s protests that occurred in Puerto Rico during the spring and summer of 2010.  He thought that those photos could represent an image problem for him, for my future roommate and me.













This situation taught me how quickly people would make judgments and create narrow and prejudicial representations of other persons because of the images they receive of these people. In spite of this, if I had another chance I will upload those photos again because they reflected something that was important for me, for the Puerto Rican society and, particularly, for a generation of students that were affected by the tumultuous events of 2010. A generation that knows that in today’s society the online social networks are part of the public sphere and can be social barometers with the power to influence decisions made in the “real” world. A world in which  private opinions are becoming less relevant.

The online social media, at least the sites that are significant, are spaces where people interact, express themselves, exchange information, create social and cultural alliances, and make friends, or even enemies. And all this happens because people have been using it as an extension of their “real” world. Certainly, I’m not advocating that everyone should share their most embarrassing or intimate photos on the web, or that writing hateful rants about politics or professors is the way to go. On the Internet, as everything in life, we should be careful and think about the message we are trying to send and be aware that others could interpret it in multiple ways. But this, instead completely holding us back, should just make us more cautious. If everyone only showed the politically correct version of themselves on the online world: what kind of online social media we would end having?  A boring one for sure, but most important: an online social media completely irrelevant to anyone! Well, except to the Human Resources people.

At least for me, if I’m a thinking of hiring someone and see a photo of a good candidate having a Medalla[2], traveling, hanging with his/her dog, family or friends, or participating in a social/cultural/political public activity, I will want to interview that person. And if this same person has some blogging about pets, global politics or about the benefits of drinking wine and eating chocolate, I'll  probably hire him/her without even a first meeting.



[1]  Some info about representation http://english.emory.edu/Bahri/Representation.html
[2] Puerto Rican beer

No comments:

Post a Comment